- Matt Flanagan has argued before, along with Nicholas Wolterstorff, that we should understand the cherem language about the total destruction of the Canaanite people in the OT as hyperbolic (akin to an athlete saying, “We totally annihilated the other team”). Ken Pulliam recently argued against this, contending instead that we must understand the cherem literally and that it is one of the most morally reprehensible portions of the Bible. Today, Matt offers a strong (and convincing) rebuttal of Ken’s argument.
- Brian LePort lists 10 books that have surprisingly influenced him over the years. I was a little startled not to see Arius’ Thalia on the list.
- Penn Jillette explains why he and Teller don’t discuss Islam or Scientology on their show, as well as why he thinks Christians have done at least something right.
- Time magazine has listed their Best Blogs of 2010. Sadly, we didn’t make the list.
- And, Matt Mikalatos would like to introduce us to Paul, the psychic octopus who predicts World Cup games.