Flotsam and jetsam (10/14)
- Andrew Perriman explains why he doesn’t like systematic theologies, and he makes a great point about the failure of many theologians to look closely at the text in their theological endeavors.
- Stuart comments on a report that there are 38,000 Christian denominations. Since this information was on a Wikipedia page, I did some digging and it looks like this statistic actually comes from the 2001 edition of the World Christian Encyclopedia (Oxford University Press). But, according to About.com, the actual number reported in that work was only 33,830. So, that’s much better.
- In case you’re still on the fence regarding Bible software, here are some more reviews of Logos 4 and Bible Works 8.
- The finalists for the National Book Awards have been announced. Similarly, here’s a list from Metafilter on the The Best American Essays of 2010.
- And, here’s a list from Mashable of the Ten Memorable Viral Videos of 2010.